Carriage House | Sheridan, Wyoming
Built in 1908 as the carriage house for the John B. Kendrick mansion, this rare example of Flemish Revival architectural design is a treasured part of Sheridan, Wyoming’s heritage. Malone Belton Abel converted the interior of the building into an intimate 80 seat theater.
After eight years of use a theater, a fire caused extensive damage to the building, and the State Historic Preservation Office asked us to design and oversee the accurate restoration of the structure. We redesigned the structural system for walls and roof to add strength without visible alterations; replaced interior glass, flooring, ceilings, and roofing using Ludovici clay tile; specified cleaning procedures; and brought the building up to code. The meticulous restoration included finding clear vertical grain Douglas fir flooring and beams from the same area in Oregon from which the originals had come. The reproduction of period glass so well matched the original glass it was necessary to have the year of restoration etched on the replacement panes.